Great Chilean Earthquake: Everything You Should Know About Great Chilean Earthquake
Chile Earthquake 1960
Dear visitors, we are here to tell you about the Chile earthquake in 1960 right now! Why? Because it is the largest earthquake in that region for many years! Why? Because you should know how dangerous it can be in real life.
What Should You Know about It?
The Chile earthquake in 1960 is the biggest quake of the past century. It happened in Chile on May 22, 1960. The earthquake caused great damage, hundreds of people died, more people lost their homes.
Origins of the Great Chilean Earthquake
The earthquake hit at 3:11 PM about 100 miles (160 km) off the coast of Chile, conforming to the city of Valdivia. It is the biggest earthquake in Chile. The collapse is commonly recognized to have had a magnitude of 9.5, though some readings alternately suggested that it may have been 9.4 or 9.6.
A range of foreshocks the past age had reminded of the incipient disaster; one, of magnitude 8.1, caused significant damage in Concepción. The fault-displacement origin of the shock reached over an estimated 560–620 mile (900–1,000 km) range of the Nazca Plate, which subducted beneath the South American Plate. As the earthquake happened simply before a revolution in seismologic technology in the 60s, these things are based principally on post hoc investigation.
Valdivia Earthquake Facts
- Lots of Chilean cities sustained crucial losses: Valdivia earthquake damage occurred in Lebu and Puerto Montt.
- More than two million people lost their homes: a huge number of citizens appeared to be homeless.
- The Valdivia earthquake took many lives, and injured thousands of people: over 1600 deaths and 3000 got injured.
- It is officially called the largest earthquake in Chile: all scientists agree that it is the greatest earthquake of the 20th century.
- It caused a great tsunami: massive waves (25 meters) attacked the whole Chilean coastline.
- It even expanded to Hawaiian and Japanese Islands: after 15 hours these tsunami waves attacked the coast 11 meters high in Hilo Bay. Also, 22 hours after they appeared on the coastline of Honshu.
- It caused the activity of the volcano: one of the biggest earthquakes in Chile woke up Cordón Caulle volcano, Lake District, which used to be inactive for 40 years.
Thank you for reading the Chilean earthquake 1960 facts! We are happy to hear that you found this article interesting and exciting. We have more information about the greatest earthquakes in history. You may find them interesting too:
- The earthquake caused over 73 deaths as Indonesia struggles with a series of natural disasters
- The Great Kanko Earthquake
- The Worst Earthquakes In History
Earthquake Safety Rules: How to Survive during the Disaster?
- Do not run out of the building – it is a common earthquake safety precaution because you put yourself in bigger danger going out while the quake is happening.
- Do not run fast by the stairs or escape by elevator by huge buildings.
- If you are outside the building run fast but carefully to skip falling bricks, broken wires, and other dangerous things.
- If you are driving a car avoid all the buildings, go by broad roads, drive carefully, and don’t get yourself distracted by things.
You may read about safety rules by following this link.
Thank you so much for reading this article till the end! See you soon. Stay safe and take care of yourself! If you have any questions or concerns you can contact us. We are always happy to hear you!